|Power Source:||2 AAA|
|Flashlight:||11 lumens / 16 hours|
|Drop Resistance:||1 meter|
The LED Pen Light (PLED23AE) is 2 x AAA battery flashlight with an awkward classification. It was part of Energizer’s Professional Metal Series (http://data.energizer.com/prolights/content/metal_pled23a_desc.html”) but it is not an Energizer Hard Case.
In addition, this light is not suited for medical professions despite the “professional” marketing. First, the light is too bright for shining in people’s eyes. Second, the beam has flood like appearance with diffuse edges. Third, it cost more than disposable pen lights. Despite all that, the PLED23AE is well suited for technicians and around the home use.
Composed of a smooth shiny aluminum body with a knurled tip, the pen light is tough and drop proof up to 1 meter. To test this, the pen light was dropped onto concrete and it continued working without issue.
Attached to the body is a strong steal clip that is removable. It sits between the threads on the the end cap and the main body.
Unfortunately, the end cap looks to be a weak point. First, the button switch is plastic with a rubber covering. It is smooth to click, but feels flimsy and weak. Metal would of been a much nicer choice. Second, the threads of the end cap are made of plastic while the threads of the main body are made of metal. It is a very coarse thread that is too easy to cross-thread. Be gentle when reassembling the pen light.
On a positive note, the light beam is very broad with a concentrated hot spot. Which makes it useful for inspecting items up close. But that’s not all, the concentrated hot spot also works well indoors as a flashlight. On a negative note, the the hot spot has a bluish tint to it.
With an 11 lumens rating, the runtime rating of 16 hours is very good. Sure more lumens would be nice, but 11 lumens is plenty of light for indoor flashlight use.
Using this light is simple. Click the end cap button firmly to turn it on or off. While on, the switch can be depressed lightly to flicker the light.
Rating this light is difficult due to the weak end cap. I like the aluminum body, the clip, the light beam, the lumens rating, and runtime. However, it’s all moot if the light fails due to a cheap plastic cap and switch. Moreover, at $4 it seems odd especially when this light was originally marketed as part of the “Energizer Professional Metal Series”.
Overall Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Related Item(s): Review
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS - DOLBLED3R)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS)
- Flashlight: Defiant XM-L U2 Tactical 5C 625 Lumen LED Light
- Flashlight: Defiant XP-G2 4xAAA 300 Lumen 2-Pack
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE) - 2013 Samsung LH351A
- Flashlight: Defiant XP-G2 3xAAA 200 Lumen Multipacks
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Task Light (TUF2AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready LED Folding Lantern (FL452WRBP)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Compact Led Light (WRCLD41E)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready 3 in 1 Led Light (WRTWL41E)
Related Item(s): Articles
- Eveready Floating Lantern (5109LS) Modification
- Flashlight Modification: Remove Multi Modes
- Single C Cell LED Flashlight
- 9 Volt Battery (6LR61) Flashlight / Lantern
- Voltax Zoom LED Flashlight 06-3037820 Disassembled