The Defiant 2-Pack 300 Lumen LED flashlights, were found on clearance at Home Depot.
Defiant Product 1000 796 527
|Name:||2-Pack 300 Lumen LED flashlights|
|Product #:||1000 796 527|
|Power Source:||4 AAA|
|Runtime:||3 Hours (Alkaline)|
|Mode(s):||High, Low, Strobe|
The flashlights were average at best due to poor construction quality. They were priced at $3.66 for 2 300 lumen LED lights, so they purchased on price alone.
Body of the flashlight was made of thick aluminum. It felt solid and slightly bulky in the hand. However, taking the flashlight apart revealed minor problems. The threads were thin metal and the battery carrier was flimsy. On a more positive note, all threads featured O-rings.
Quality control was poor. One flashlight did not work. After removing the reflector, LED fell out and was full of grease. Fortunately, the set was returned and exchanged for another set with no hassle.
Biggest issue is the LED and the pill. There’s not much to hold the LED onto the pill. Insufficient solder, and a tiny white plastic ring that fits over the LED to hold it center onto the pill. Without the ring, the reflector and head will crush or dislodge the LED. Disappointing and cheap is the best way to describe.
4 AAA batteries to power the flashlight. Awesome. Most battery packs come in multiples of 4. It’s much easier to pair and use 4 batteries. 3 battery flashlights always leaves one unused battery.
Three modes are controlled by an end tail clicky button. Full presses turns the flashlight on and off. Each full ON press will cycle to next mode.
Half-presses cycle to the next mode (High->Low->Strobe), which is a very convenient feature.
Current was measured with the fresh Alkaline batteries included with the flashlight.
Looks like an XP-G2 LED!
Note the grease and dirt from the cheap assembly.
Light emitted was slightly brighter than other 200 lumen flashlights. Lumens were not measured but it seems to be around 300 lumens compared to other flashlights.
Hot spot was nice and large, while the spill was smooth. All attributed to a nice large shiny reflector. Beam profile was very pleasing in color and shape.
The flashlight tube is the perfect size for C cells. They fit without issue. Given the price, this would make a great flashlight body for modding into a single C-cell flashlight.
Good body and LED but poor/cheap assembly. For the price it’s great if working flashlights are obtained.
The flashlight body, though, is solid and ideal for modifying as everything can be disassembled easily. In addition it fits 4 AAA batteries, or a single C cell.
In the end, there’s a lot to like about this flashlight; but, cheap assembly hurts it especially if the LED falls out.
- Edit (01/04/15): LED fell off another flashlight which indicates an assembly problem. Pure garbage if the light does not work. Score has now been lowered from 3.0 to 1.0. The only good thing about this light is the flashlight body for modifications. It would make an excellent 1xC battery host or 4xAAA host. In addition, the star with the LED can also be easily changed. Nonetheless, as a product from a big box store, it’s a failure.
Overall 1.0 out of 5
Packaging was the standard Defiant brand blister packs that are recyclable.
FL 1 Standard ratings on the front
Performance is based on using Alkaline batteries
Related Item(s): Review
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS - DOLBLED3R)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS)
- Flashlight: Defiant XM-L U2 Tactical 5C 625 Lumen LED Light
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE) - 2013 Samsung LH351A
- Flashlight: Defiant XP-G2 3xAAA 200 Lumen Multipacks
- Flashlight: Energizer LED Pen Light (PLED23AE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Task Light (TUF2AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready LED Folding Lantern (FL452WRBP)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Compact Led Light (WRCLD41E)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready 3 in 1 Led Light (WRTWL41E)
Related Item(s): Articles
- Eveready Floating Lantern (5109LS) Modification
- Flashlight Modification: Remove Multi Modes
- Single C Cell LED Flashlight
- 9 Volt Battery (6LR61) Flashlight / Lantern
- Voltax Zoom LED Flashlight 06-3037820 Disassembled