Bitcoin gained lots of attention and popularity in 2013. Now in 2014, companies are trying to capitalize on the digital currency.
The following are the top 5 publicly traded companies on the stock market with Bitcoin plans. They are speculative and risky plays. Moreover, some of them are just using Bitcoin as marketing hype for their products, so due diligence is necessary.
The 5+1 Public Companies with Bitcoin Plans
WPCS International Incorporated (Nasdaq Capital Market: WPCS)
WPCS International Incorporated designs and builds engineering services for communications infrastructure worldwide.
- On December 17, 2013 they announced the acquisition of BTX Trader LLC.
- On January 21, 2014 they announced a project launch date in the 2nd Quarter of calendar 2014 for the BTX Platform, a Bitcoin trading platform for traders and investors.
Bitcoin Shop, Inc. formerly TouchIT Technologies Inc. (OTC: TUCND)
Bitcoin Shop Inc, formerly TouchIT Technologies, Inc., designs, produces and markets touch-based visual communication products.
- On February 8, 2014 they announced the February 5, 2014 acquisition of Bitcoinshop.us LLC., an ecommerce website where consumers can purchase products using virtual currency such as Bitcoin.
- On February 13, 2014 they announced the closing of the purchase of the domain name BTCS.com to match their new ticker symbol BTCS (effective March 5, 2014).
Overstock.com, Inc. (Nasdaq Global Market: OSTK) and Zynga, Inc. (Nasdaq Global Select Market: ZNGA)
These two companies are listed together as they are both established companies that now accept Bitcoin as a form of payment.
Overstock.com, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an online retailer providing discount brand name, non-brand name, and closeout merchandise in the United States and internationally.
- On January 9, 2014 Overstock.com announced it was now accepting Bitcoin as a form of payment on it’s online shopping site
Zynga Inc. develops, markets, and operates online social games as live services on the Internet, social networking sites, and mobile platforms in the United States and internationally.
- On January 3, 2014 Zynga posted on Reddit the acceptance of Bitcoin as payment for in-game purchases on select games
Myriad Interactive Media Inc. (OTC: MYRY)
Myriad Interactive Media, Inc., is an interactive website development company, focusing on developing interactive media websites and mobile applications. They are based in Toronto, Canada.
- On December 10, 2013 they announced entry into Bitcoin, Litecoin, and other virtual currencies with a new platform residing at www.CryptoCafe.com.
- On January 21, 2014 they announced 75% completion of www.CryptoCafe.com. It is on pace to meet the initial deadline of three months set on December 10, 2013.
SmartMetric Inc. (OTC: SMME)
SmartMetric, Inc., is a development stage company engaged in the research and development of biometric card solutions.
- On January 10, 2014 they announced a launch date in Q1 2014 for the SmartMetric Biometric Bitcoin Card, a biometric fingerprint secured off-line storage platform for Bitcoins.
- On January 14, 2014 they announced that the SmartMetric Biometric Bitcoin Card will enable in-person Peer-to-Peer (P2P) transfer of Bitcoins through its payment card.
- Intelligent card will feature:
- Biometric security
- An internal ARM 9 processor, and upto 128 gigabytes of memory.
- Near Field Communication (NFC) chip.
- Intelligent card will feature:
- On January 14, 2014 they announced the completion and availability of the SmartMetric Intelligent Card OS sub-micro operating system for Bitcoin developers and entrepreneurs.
- On January 24, 2014 they reiterated the Intelligent Card OS and Biometric Bitcoin Card as a new development platform that is the size of payment card.
- On January 28, 2014 they released an open letter to the public about Bitcoin.
- On January 31, 2014 they reiterated their platform and highlighted daily Bitcoin transaction volumes.
The following are the closing stock prices for February 13, 2014.
|WPCS International Incorporated||WPCS||$1.63||2.54M|
|Bitcoin Shop, Inc.||TUCND||$2.55||1.94M|
|Myriad Interactive Media, Inc.||MYRY||$0.0472||4.48M|