The Sony KDL-32EX340 was purchased as a bedroom television. In order to not disturb other people at night, headphones would be required. Unlike most TVs, there was no obvious headphone jack!
First attempt was to connect the headphones to the audio out jack on the back of the television. Unfortunately, no sound came out of the headphones. After referring to the manual, the audio was switched from TV Speakers to Audio System.
Great, there was sound! But it was way too loud. Quickly pressing the volume down button on the remote had no effect. Nor did pushing the volume up button. After messing around with the menus, the settings were found to control the volume output to the headphones.
Sony KDL-32EX340: Headphone Volume Control
To use the audio out jack as a headphone jack, with full volume control, do the following:
- Connect the headphones to the AUDIO OUT jack
- Turn on the TV
- Press the HOME button on the remote
- Select Settings from the HOME menu
- Select Sound from the left menu
- Select Audio Out from the Sound settings
- Change the settings to Variable
- Exit the menus
- Press Options on the remote
- Select Speakers from the menu
- Select Audio System from the menu
Now audio will be outputted to the headphones, and volume can be controlled via the TV remote.