The following details a cheap simple way to alter multi-mode flashlights into either a single mode flashlight and/or simple flashlight without memory modes.
The Multi-Mode Problem
Multi-mode flashlights are becoming the norm, but they can be annoying. Cheap designs require constant cycling through the different modes even when turning the flashlight on/off. It’s even more annoying when there’s a strobe mode that has to be cycled through due to the memory function.
- Off/On -> Low -> Off/On -> High -> Off/On -> Strobe
Moreover, when the flashlight has been turned off for some time and then later turned on, the user may not remember which mode will appear.
I like a simple on/off design. A single mode flashlight, or flashlight without memory is desired.
Pencil to Remove Flashlight Multi Modes
There’s a surprisingly simple way to reduce/remove the memory function with a pencil! By locating the capacitor it can be shorted by drawing over it with the carbon graphite of a pencil.
With this alteration the flashlight memory was gone. Yay! Simple operation meant the flashlight would always start on the Low mode.
- Off/On -> Low
Fortunately this light also has a half click to cycle through the modes with half presses.
- Low -> half click -> High -> half click -> strobe
Thickness of lines and amount of pencil lead will effect the capacitor’s ability and reduce memory time by shorting it.
- Thin lines will reduce the memory time
- Thick lines and two much graphite may completely short the capacitor and make the flashlight single-mode only
Reset the Flashlight Multi Modes
Related Item(s): Review
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS - DOLBLED3R)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Floating Lantern (WRFLN6VS)
- Flashlight: Defiant XM-L U2 Tactical 5C 625 Lumen LED Light
- Flashlight: Defiant XP-G2 4xAAA 300 Lumen 2-Pack
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE) - 2013 Samsung LH351A
- Flashlight: Defiant XP-G2 3xAAA 200 Lumen Multipacks
- Flashlight: Energizer LED Pen Light (PLED23AE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Task Light (TUF2AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Hard Case LED Project Light (TUF4AAPE)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready LED Folding Lantern (FL452WRBP)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready Compact Led Light (WRCLD41E)
- Flashlight: Energizer Weatheready 3 in 1 Led Light (WRTWL41E)
Related Item(s): Articles
- Eveready Floating Lantern (5109LS) Modification
- Single C Cell LED Flashlight
- 9 Volt Battery (6LR61) Flashlight / Lantern
- Voltax Zoom LED Flashlight 06-3037820 Disassembled