A Chromecast was purchased and it worked well with an Android tablet. However, when tab casting from a Chrome browser in OS X, only a blue casting icon would appear on the TV! The following presents the problem and a solution for OS X.
The Problem: Tab Casting not Working
While tab casting from a Chrome Browser in OS X, only an icon would appear on the TV. Waiting a few minutes resulted in no changes, as the blue icon remained on the screen.
Photo of Casting Icon on TV
The problem was OS X firewall blocking the Chromecast device from communicating with the Chrome browser!
The Solution: Add a Firewall Exception (OS X)
- Click on the Apple menu icon and select System Preferences
- Select security and privacy
- Click on the firewall tab, and unlock it to select firewall options
- Look for or add “Google Chrome.app”
- If there’s a “Block incoming connections” status, click on it to change it.
- Select “Allow incoming connections”
Tab Casting Should Now Work
- TV: Make sure the Chromecast is setup and connected
- OS X: Launch Chrome browser and click on the Google Cast icon
- Select the Chromecast device
- Tab casting will start
- The Chrome browser casting icon turns blue
- A Chrome tabs contents will finally appear on the TV!